MENU

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Remembering My Dad on Father's Day



My father died when I was 14 years old, and that meant he wasn't there to see me during my milestones: graduate high school, turn 18, get my college degree, publish my first story, and walk down the aisle. 

Even though my Dad wasn't physically there, he didn't just fade into the background when he left. For those who have read my earliest blog posts back in college, I have always strived to keep my Dad's memory alive, and I'm fortunate he left us a deep well of memories to take from. 

A few months before getting married, I ran into a financial problem brought about by another family member. I asked a friend for advice on whether I should fix it and reallocate a portion of my wedding funds. What she and her husband told me gave me pause, and made me grateful once again that even beyond his life, my Dad tried his best to protect and provide for us. 

My friend and her husband said I have survived without that certain problem hanging over my head for years, and it was not something that needed immediate fixing. My wedding, however, only happens once. And aside from the celebrations, what we need to prepare for most is the marriage that would come after. She said my father would have loved the thought that he helped pay for my wedding. I also can't forget what her husband said, "As a father, I would love it if my kids are still feeling my love for them even long after I'm gone." And we do!



On my wedding day, with no one from my immediate family present except for my younger sister, I still celebrated with a full and grateful heart. I had a locket with my Dad's picture tied to my bouquet, so I can say he was still with me when I walked down the aisle to my husband. But even without that memento, I am living proof that you can overcome so much with more than enough love from a parent.



This Father's Day, as billions of children around the world celebrate and honor their father, I am happy albeit a bit wistful, that they get to spend more time with their first heroes. I can only wish them well, and tell you dear readers to let your fathers know how awesome they are while you still can! 


No comments :

Post a Comment